Sunlaker Journal

Friday, July 28, 2006

Cable Modem Problems

I have been chasing cable modem problems for the past week or so. (I have high speed cable modem access to the Internet.) I kept getting dropped out of the online game I was playing. At first I believed that it was the game server getting overloaded. And that probably happened some of the time. But not many times. The rest of the time I figured it had something to do with the cable modem hook up. I have had this modem working for several years now, so the connections are well established.

I called my cable company's tech support. You know, the kind where you get this call center and you don't really know what country they are in. The first time I talked with tech support, we did the normal things. Uplugged the modem. Power off, Ethernet out, cable coax disconnect. He thought it might be the power strip, so I replaced the strip with another. Plugged everything back in again. The cable modem did not work. Still no indication of a constant cable connection.

Last night, I went to a local computer store and bought two new ethernet cables and a new cable modem. This morning I replaced the ethernet cables and tried the old cable modem again. Things worked fine. For a couple of hours. Then I lost the link again. The cable modem dropped the link.

So I replaced my old Motorola modem with the new Linksys that I bought last night. Never could get that to work. Called the cable company's tech support again. He had me unplug the modem and then plug it in again. I replaced the cable coax with a new coax, and totally bypassed the power strip by plugging the power into the wall socket direct. Nah. That did not work either. I took the Wireless router out of the link, and that did not work either. Still no line activity to the internet.

I took a break for dinner. Went back to the computer, and hooked up my old Motorola modem. Of course, it works. I have been on the internet for a while now, using the old modem. It did drop out once. I powered it off and recycled it. It reacquired.

I will keep with the old modem until things go bad again. Then I will try another call to tech support. The saga is, no doubt, ongoing..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home