Sunlaker Journal

Monday, May 19, 2008

Looking For a New Home

Well, I am looking for a new home for my website, sunlaker.com. Things are coming together in a mini perfect-storm condition, and it is time to move to a new server and a new provider. I have been paying for the hosting of the web site with a credit card, and today my wonderful bank told me that they are closing this credit card and opening another for me in my name. The problem is that the new one will have a different number and expiration date from my old card.

Put that together with the fact that my web site "host" has disappeared from the internet. Their web site no longer exists! My sunlaker.com is continuing because my original host (that seems to have vanished) had actually resold the server space to me from another vendor. And that vendor is getting paid (I hope) by my credit card. And when my credit card disappears in a 45 days, the payments that keep my web site alive will vanish.

Fine, you say, just tell them the new credit card number. I might, but all contact has to go through the original host that is "selling" me the service. And he has disappeared.....

I contacted a new potential host on the internet today, and they were very nice. They can get my new site up and running in a matter of days. No problem. The web site name, sunlaker.com, is a different story. To change that to the new host company I have to get the old host company to make the change for the web site name. And since they have disappeared, I can't do that! So I have a great name, but can not move it. The web site name is also being paid by this soon to expire credit card, but that is not until October 2008. So that can't timeout until after that date.

So it looks like sunlaker.com and I will part company for a while, maybe forever. Too bad. I liked that name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home