Sunlaker Journal

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Digital Cameras - a New Look

I thought I knew a lot about digital cameras. I have been taking digital photos for years, and even teaching Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, which process digital pictures. But I am learning some limitations of digital cameras while taking the Digital Darkroom course from Ron Lacey. I never realized how limited my pictures were before.

I have been using a Canon G1 and then a Canon G6, and while these cameras will take pretty good snapshots, they are far from detailed landscape cameras. The lens is the limitation. They have zoom lenses, and that is nice. But the f stop range is only adequate for simpler photos. I have had occasion, in the course I am taking, to want to view photos in a zoomed in condition - say 100 to 300%. And I have found that my pictures do not have a great range of focus. While the photo, for the most part, is in focus there are portions of my shots which always seem to be out of focus. And frankly, I am getting tired of that.

Ron takes pictures with multiple cameras and lenses, including a Canon D40 and a Canon 5D (the top of the line). And the detail in his pictures is amazing. Now I know what detail can look like. And by comparison, my photos are sorely lacking.

In the old days, when I used SLR film cameras (35 mm) I would get excellent range of focus. My best lens had a capability of f1.4 to f16, and at the higher f stops everything was in focus. The problem I had with film cameras was the cost of processing the film and the prints. I just could not afford what I wanted. So when the transition came to digital cameras, I eagerly converted - buying my first Canon G1. And I found I loved the developing cost = one software package (Photoshop Elements) for an all you can develop price. Great.

But now I am beginning to realize that sheer volume of megapixels is not the total answer. My G6 can take photos with 7 megapixels of info in the shot. So my color variation is very good. However, I am discovering that the clarity of my images is limited by the range of the f stop on my camera: f2 to f8. I am also discovering that my older age is a limit. My hands tend to be a tad unsteady when I snap the shots. It also does not help that digital cameras seem to have a longer "keep it steady" time built in as part of capturing the shot.

Ok, this sounds like a bitch session. But really it is just part of my internal process in deciding what kind of digital camera to buy next. I had thought that I wanted the small Canon G9. It is lightweight, portable and has a 12 megapixel photo capture. It also has an image stabilization (is) function, and that is a minimum requirement for my next camera. I had thought the "is" would be enough, but now I am beginning to wonder about the lens capability. I will have to see what I do next. More research, probably.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi John!
    Bitch Sesson? Gotta watch that because you never know who may be peeking in. :D
    Since I'm here, thought I'd comment. (:
    I've read film cameras are better than digital because you don't get the film grain and some would rather scan the negative. Make sense? I don't know enough to tell.
    Also, was curious if I set my lense to 3.5, should I set the Fstop the same.
    I may take the basic html class at LVS next time around.

    Bonnie

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger sunlaker said…

    Hi Bonnie,

    Great to hear from you again. How is it going?

    I think a good digital camera can do as well as film cameras. In fact I prefer digital cameras because I can see if my shots are working while I am taking them. I don't have to wait until the processing is completed.

    It also depends on what you are trying to do. I have a digital camera that is 7 megapixels and it prints great 8x10 inch photos. I have a good film SLR by Nikon, and I won't use it because I don't want to pay for the processing. With digital cameras, the processing to see what you got is free (with Photoshop).

    I will probably get one of the newer digital SLRs and they take fabulous pictures. Scanning in negatives or slides is a real pain. Takes too long, and is subject to dust in the scan. With digital, you just load the files onto the computer. I am sold with digital.

    Sorry, but I don't understand your question about setting your lens to 3.5. Are you talking about a film camera? The f stop and shutter speed all depend on the available light in the photo you are trying to take. If it is real bright, the f stop will be a higher number for any given shutter speed. If dim light, the lens should open to a wider f stop (with the lower number). I usually let the camera decide by using the automatic setting.

    I think taking basic html is a great idea. It will give you the basics of the vocabulary for building web pages. I am using Dreamweaver software to build my web pages, but I could not do it without understanding html.

    Good to hear from you.
    John

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm doing fine John, thanks. I looked at your classwork for Digital Darkroom. Looks good and I'm thinking I could benefit from it as well.
    I understand what you mean about digital vs. film. But there are others out there that do like film better.
    My camera is a Sony Alpha 10.2 mega pixel. All I know about the settings is what I've taught myself. I thought the Fstop was for distance. What I meant by setting the lense at 3.5 was the zoom. My lense is a macro that came with the camera. I set the ISO to auto usually.
    I've tried using auto and adjusting it from there but I'm a very impatient person and so are my subjects. :D
    I know some HTML but have always cringed at CSS. You know that old saying? Knowledge is power. (:

    TC
    Bonnie

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Blogger sunlaker said…

    Bonnie,
    I am amazed at how much I am learning from Ron Lacey's Digital Darkroom course. His class notes are excellent, and he is very helpful on the Class bulletin board. He is teaching us how to use the Adobe Camera RAW preprocessor (ACR) that comes with Photoshop. I never knew the RAW processor could do so much. He is an excellent photographer, and he really does understand both cameras and Photoshop.

    I have a Canon G6 and I just leave everything on Auto when I take my shots (ISO, f stop, shutter speed). The only thing I like to control is the flash. I prefer using no flash, even under low light conditions. I do any correction I need later in Photoshop. That has worked for me.

    As for HTML, if you know some of the basics, there are many ways to go to get your photos/web pages on the Internet. It depends on what your goals are. I took the LVS sequence of Dreamweaver courses and learned enough about CSS to let Dreamweaver do it. LOL That's all I needed.

    But before I bought Dreamweaver, I used Nvu as my web page construction software. Not great, but it was totally free and a good way to learn. Couple that with a free FTP program, and I had a system to get things on the web. I started with my free web space from Earthlink, but ran out of room after posting a couple hundred images. So now I am using a commercial web site host, together with my indispensable friend - Dreamweaver.
    TC,
    John

     
  • At 8:56 PM, Blogger Bonnie said…

    Hey John,
    It's official. I just signed up for Build your Website I. I know, I'm a sucker for punishment. :D
    Joanne signed up for a PHP class so I'm more scared for her than myself right now. ;)
    I noticed your interest in camera raw some time ago.
    Will you sign up for another class this session? I would like to find a Photoshop class just for compositing. I can do just about anything I want, but no ideas in this head.


    Bonnie

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger sunlaker said…

    Bonnie,
    That HTML course looks great. I just looked at the syllabus online. I will stay away from the PHP class. That's not something I think I need. Joanne can enjoy it with her fellow classmates.

    I would like to take some more digital camera classes from Ron Lacey, but he is taking a break this session. So I will too.

    I don't know of another PS class using compositing. Sorry. I know what you mean about getting ideas from other courses and people online. Good Luck,
    John

     

Post a Comment

<< Home